Monday, May 29, 2023

St. George’s College (Week #32) – Day #142

 Date for Entry: (Monday 29 May 2023)

Actual Date of Online Entry: (June 2023)

[T3, W:07 – D:30, (Td:01)*].

**Copy of Programme

Dear Diary,

    Only one Georgian came down to Valsayn with me in the maxi. The sky was very dark but thankfully the rain did not wet me. Had a nice chat with Mr Mario and Mrs Santana as we all signed out attendance books. The car park was also very empty. A lot of compliments were given to me on the Indian wear that I came to school in. Some of the teachers too had mistaken me for a student. Was not sure if Miss Roberts came that morning. I knew that they were going to have the Indian Arrival Day function that same day but was not sure when it was going to start.

    Immediately Miss Rivas came into the office to see me and said that the girl to whom I sent the “Suhani Raat” transcription found that the music was too hard to read. Miss Rivas asked me if I was still up for playing the song and I told her yes. On asking her about the function, she said, “It’s about to start now.” I still had some time. I told her that if the girl could not play the music, I would play it.

    I went to the music room to get a stand. I wanted to get my book stand but I had forgotten to take it. I got some clips from my desk in the office to clip the score to the stand and kept it safe in my older until lit was time to perform. The children had a questions and answers section and reward the children with correct answers a parcel of sweets. A lot of laughter was heard when the three girls telling the history could not pronounce the name of the Indian foods and sweets.

    I had a lot of waiting to do with Miss Bernette in the back. We were busy laughing in the back of the hall. One boy from her Form class did a harmonium piece. It was a new song to me. Two performances before I had to perform Miss Rivas made an announcement for me to come backstage. I walked around the building to the doorway at the stage’s stairs.

    As soon as I was called up to the stage, I walked up to the podium and rest the book stand with the score on it. I had to go and get the tenor pan far on the other side because one of the young men working on the stage for the function could not help me. I was glad my back didn’t pain me during the performance. Many of the students could not settle themselves so I began when I was ready, ignored them, and read and played out the full song. I remember Miss St Louis was sitting and enjoying the song from the front row by glance as soon as I got to page three.

    I waited to hear Miss Jaikaran when she was about to perform after me. I felt a bit ashamed when she said that the song, she had paned to do was “Suhani Raat” but she sang another song. I went back to the ‘music room’ to return the stand that I had borrowed. When I got back to the office, I got my things to go to the staffroom. Many teachers said that they loved the song.

    I could not do much work in the staffroom and then I did not remember to bring my flash drive so I went to the conference room. When I pulled out my checklist of topics for the Form 1s, I decided to cancel the two charts for expressive features. They would have been too much work. My plan was to start working on topics for Form 2. I was able to complete three topics: Time Signatures, Ledger Lines & Octave Designation. ‘Mr Christian’ sat with me working in there too. Seemed as if he needed a quiet place to work also.

    Lunchtime came and Miss Harris decided to have detention with her form children in there. It was not nice of her and so I left. I remained in the office for the remainder of the evening as the rest of the school had their usual classes. I did not like how I was forced to miss my class with 1M for the first two periods. There was a very messy leak in the men’s bathroom. Didn’t see Miss Gittens that day and Jeanice left early too. Before I left school Miss Jaikaran said that we should work on a song for next time. I would look forward to it.

Link(s):

  • “Suhani Raat” – Tenor Pan Performance. **
  • St. George’s Indian Arrival Day (2023) – Programme.**

Daryl Zion M. Ali

(7:55 am – 5:04 pm)

No comments:

Post a Comment