Tuesday, November 7, 2023

St. George’s College (Week #47) – Day #213

Date for Entry: (Tuesday 07 November 2023)

Actual Date of Online Entry: (Monday 13 November 2023)

[T1, W:10 – D:2, (Td:2)*].

**Video

Dear Diary,

    One Georgian girl came with me in the maxi today. I got to the office and met four bags of 25 Kurma on my desk. Mrs Sawh came and removed them for me. Plenty of teachers were wearing green. I was about to wear my green shirt too. The principal asked me to open the door for her but she stood up talking and I left. I went to class and did the major scales lesson with 2M. The full note was received and the same homework was done.

    I moved on to 1L and did a review of all the homework that they were assigned for the term and in preparation for their exam. No homework was given. I did not use the remainder of the note conversion worksheets again. I decided to continue from the review since that was enough and get to lesson six. Another test was required for coursework. Ameer submitted along with another boy. I showed the class that they would have to sign a similar attendance form when they are submitting it next week.

    I ended up finishing my recess late by waiting for stationary with Mrs Blandin-Maharaj. We entered the library for the staff meeting at 11:09 AM. It had already started:

  • Exams start the Monday (20th) after Achievement Day week (for Lower School).
  • HODs to set the timetable for teacher supervision in their departments.
  • Papers to print must be sent early (24 hours before).
  • Permit for fundraisers to be authorised by the School’s Supervisor.
  • Halloween Movie Night was a success.
  • Exam papers are to be set (by Monday 13th) to print.
  • Supervision by Dr Blandin (3 Teachers): 23 – Code of Conduct, MOE.
  • Supervision to be sorted out by HODs when teachers are absent??
  • Dr J: (E40, 2011)??

  • FINAL WEEK: Tuesday – Staff meeting; the last for the term.
  • FINAL WEEK: Thursday – Deadline for submission of Grades.
  • FINAL WEEK: Thursday – Class parties.
  • FINAL WEEK: Friday – (After Class Party) Teachers’ Lime.

 

    The meeting ended in a very unsettled manner and abruptly on some occasions and also disagreement. When I heard the deadline for the uploading of grades to George’s system and class part was the same day, I found it strange. I wished they would have mentioned the actual date instead of saying the day and last week. Mis Laurance got a copy of the “Gymnopedie No. 1” for her Clinical Supervision tomorrow (French class) before I left the library.

    I went back to the office and asked Mis Mohammed if I could have used the ‘dungeon’ to change my clothing. We had a good laugh. I had the must-stand already mounted up and had it set on the stage. My second entrance to the staffroom is where I met “Neesha” and Mrs Jaikaran. They were giving out invitations to the programme and we went over to the hall. They ended up leaving me. The school had to go through an early roll call and had the students assemble in the hall for 1 PM.

    I waited and waited for my turn to perform. I ended up falling asleep like one upper school boy who slept through the entire function. Some of my 2F students were in the back in front of me. “Jereem” tried to find out the name of the song since Tuesday. I told him that it was a surprise. Only after my performance, did I give him a copy of the music that I used.

    There were many dances done for the day. A very lovely one done by Mrs Jaikaran. Before it was my time, “Neesha” came to ask if I could have cut the performance in half “like two verses and two choruses” because the time for school was drawing nearer and their function had to finish too. When I was called to perform, the models had already blocked the two sides to get to the stage. I decided that my entrance would be from the central aisle. Sadly, there was no music for me to walk to but my cheering Form 1 students did perfectly.

    Once I was on the stage, I got the bookstand in front of the pan, clipped on the score and began immediately. I was very nervous. The introduction was messed up lightly but it was the correct rhythm even though the order of pitches was wrong. I continued to the end of the chorus on the first page and called it the end. It felt very abrupt as the staff meeting ended too, which made me feel like I did a crash landing. Somehow during the performance, the students started to clap to the beat. They ended up stopping too.

    As I took my seat back at the end of the hall, the bus shuttle came. Immediately all of the shuttle children got up and left the hall just like that. I got up and left Miss Bacca to go up in the front. They had a dance. A girl was dancing and I felt overshadowed as if I had failed but her music too had cut and then she ended up not doing the rest. I was looking forward to hers all evening. She even took the time to tie in the Ghungaroo. ‘Doctor’ was still in front watching the final dance before the modelling.

    Later that evening I got Kurma from “Choo-Choo” in a big box. I got another one. This one had a coconut flavour. But the other from Mrs Jaikaran had the ginger that gave it the real Kurma taste. I wished I had another pack. I went back to change the ‘dungeon’ back into my shirt and pants. 

    Late as I was leaving the office ‘Doctor’ told me that she appreciated and enjoyed the performance while walking her out. Mr Ustach was asked if school was being cancelled tomorrow but she said no. He wanted to know where we would be having lunch tomorrow if it flooded. I suggested that we go by the river. She laughed.

 

UPDATE

Saturday 11 November 2023.

    ‘Doctor’ had sent me a recording of the performance that she took during the Diwali Programme. On this day the Final exams for Form 1 and 2 were also verified by Miss Paul for approval and were both approved and sent to Miss Gittens for HOD approval/review.

    The school was emailed copies of the same exams along with the instructions for invigilators to do the exam and then another exam for the Forms 1s was set for this week. I did not teach anything much for the day from 8 AM to 4 PM. To cheer myself up I went and crafted the Form 2 Major scales and typed it up for when the time was right.

 

Daryl Zion M. Ali

(7:53 am – 4:48 pm)

No comments:

Post a Comment