Tuesday, September 1, 2015

General Musicianship 1 - (MUSC 0001)

Date for Entry: (Tuesday 1st September, 2015)

Actual Date of Online Entry: (Tuesday 6th July, 2021)

Dear Diary,

    Today is my first class at the Department of Creative and Festival Arts. I was so nervous at the parking yard because I didn’t know if there was going to be any classes or any form or another type of registration. I know that dad didn’t really want me to go because he said that they wouldn’t have anything much today. But I was glad that I still came because I would have really missed out on an important first-class.

    On arriving at the Campus, I saw a lady in a green T-shirt who looked just like my friend I met on the Form three field trip Ms Saunders took me to with the Steel Ensemble. She helped me in front of Studio IV by showing me where the class would be. Then I said in my mind, “I just hope she is doing the course too.” At this time, I taught she was going to be a tutor in one of the music programs but then she said, “Well I’ll see yuh in class,” I knew that my hope was granted.

    Today’s class was General Musicianship I and my Teacher for this was Mrs. Patrice Cox-Neaves. She judged me for my Grade 2 pan examination and also for the audition that just went by. She taught us a lot of things but her first question was, “Does anyone have an idea what Musicianship is?” My answer was to be playing together with a good understanding of musical literacy but then my friend in the back said that it deals with Musical etiquette. With that response, I couldn’t find any more answers in my mind. And then my other friend from Pan Minors had said it was to be from the technique. 

    Mrs. Neaves told us about how our National Anthem was performed for the London Olympics when Keshorn Walcott had won the Gold medal. When she spoke about the feeling it had I understood what she was talking about because I had felt it too. She then told us about the book that Dr. Osborn had put together. I didn’t know who that was but I found out that it was a female and that this same person assisted in putting together my Pan Minors booklet at the same time I signed up.  

    Ms. Neaves said that she was a student of Dr. Osborne and that she would have changed it to a suite but then she told the class of a phrase I appreciated to learn, “If something is good then it doh need fixin’” So this helped me to understand a lot that even though my pan book I made for Youth Group is good just the way it is, that I should leave it because it would be useful the same way it is. Another thing she said was that “Once you are in a comfortable place and everything is easy, you gotta find something else. But don’t stop it. Keep something that challenges you.” 

    The moment she said that there was a book on sale I knew that I had to get it. It was simply because I was obsessed with music, especially Sheetmusic and the sooner I got it, I could go home and revise everything in the book for the next class. At first, I knew I didn’t have any money to pay for it but then I remembered I carried my wallet with my National Identification Card just in case they needed it. So it had enough to pay her forty-five dollars. She then gave us a four-page diagnostic test to do as an actor and it was quite easy. The thing I liked about it was that it was from a Trinity Guildhall exam book. 

    At the end of Class, Ms. Neaves helped me find a sheet with all of my subjects on it. It was a long legal size of paper she signed and then I signed it after helping a girl from my class too. I hope one day we might get to be good friends. Then I went to a notice board to look for my name for the pan lessons they were talking about. My two friends helped me find the list with my name. From there I saw that I was the only one for Mr. Sharma’s plan lessons. The two friends were going to be in Dr. Remy’s Class and I saw Mr. Barry Manette from Starlift got some from my class as well. When they told me about registering for the subjects I realised that Andrew showed me to do all of those things last night on his laptop after helping him install his new printer. 

    From there I went to see a lady named Mrs. Ramlal. She was the same lady who was talking to us at the list for people to take pan lessons. She then helped me get a timetable to my e-mail from her computer and she advised me to ask Mr. Sharma about Pan lessons tomorrow because he was out of the country until today. So I went on outside of the Office and wait for dad to come for me.


Link(s):

  1. Diagnostic Exercise.
  2. Music Certificate Academic Advising Form.

Daryl Zion M. Ali

No comments:

Post a Comment