Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Second General Musicianship 1 Class

Date for Entry: (Tuesday 8th September, 2015)

Actual Date of Online Entry: (Tuesday 6th July, 2021)


Dear Diary,

    Today was my Second General Musicianship class. At first, Mrs. Neaves came to class and gave out some more workbooks I bought from her last week. I was all excited to show her my booklet that I made for the Pan Group in Church. The only thing is that when I’m in front of this coursebook, I try not to focus on it too much. If I do, I would simply want to grab a pencil and complete all of the exercises in the book like I did in Pan Minors. 

    As she began to start the class, we all had to sing the National Anthem of Trinidad & Tobago from the Piano Score offered in the booklet. I for one was glad to hold it in my hand saying in my mind, “You’re all mine now!” But then miss stopped all of us and then she reminded us that when the Anthem is being played that we had to stand up at attention. So, I got up but I held the score in my hand and sang it although I knew the words by heart.

    Then she moved on to letting us clap two pages of rhythms and then went on to a lesson on semitones and enharmonic equivalents. She then told us that when we sing the National Anthem that it must be sung with pride because of the history it contains and another part of the Federation. I did not understand that part of the story. One part I liked was that when she said she asked her mom why they sang the Anthem at such a high pitch, was that long-ago people could have sung to that pitch. My Goodness! Those people need to send that gift to me and others, pleeeeeease. 

    But in my mind, that was long ago because now when people reach to the “Here every creed and race” that is always where people may find difficulty with the (F5). She also taught us about octave designations. This is how I know it is (F5). But while singing the Anthem with the class I was deeply shocked to see what we were singing from the written music. Apparently, in the score, the melody part was a note short. This now caused a kind of linkage between the Tenor pan and Double-tenor if it was to be for the pan but I’m sure that if you were to correct it, people would instantly notice the change.

At the end of class, I went to Mrs. Neaves and showed her the pan booklet I made for my Youth Group and then she asked me if I had ten minutes. I knew that Dad wasn’t outside as yet so I gave it to her to watch. Then she went outside to look for more books but then she didn’t have any more to give the other student. They walked off and then she took me to her office and looked through the book. I too was amazed at it because I can still see the colours glittering as the pages flew from one end to the other side. She said that she liked it very much. 

Before I left the campus, I showed my friend Natasha it because I knew she was a steel pannist and she liked it too. And I told her that it had helped with some of the homework in it too. I decided to walk on because the car was giving me trouble but then dad came up halfway and I finished my three pages of homework in less than four minutes. 

That evening after returning to Tunapuna, I sat down and went to do some extra homework to learn more about the National Anthem and Patrick Castagne. This had to do with the 'homework' challenge that miss gave us to read up on for the next class.


Daryl Zion M. Ali

No comments:

Post a Comment