Thursday, September 29, 2022

St. George’s College (WEEK 2) – Day #09

Date for Entry: (Thursday 29 September 2022)

Actual Date of Online Entry: (Saturday 8 October 2022)

Dear Diary,

    I had to clean up the music room again today. The students left the room untidy last evening. I had it straightened. My day in the music room began all early time on the piano with the St. George’s College song. I heard a lovely song they played on the PA system as the students gathered for their assembly. Could not believe I had spent all that time on the piano playing and I did not even know how to play that much.

    After assembly, I looked at Miss Roberts’ timetable and saw that she had Form Twos and Form Threes both for double periods after my double with the Form Ones. I was determined to take them and teach them if they came by the music room.

    During the assembly, I texted Miss Roberts and she called me instead. She said that they all had homework to do and that she wanted me to review ledger lines with the Form Twos and to start the C Major and A minor scales with the Form Threes. I told her that I would do all the lessons for the day.

    My big mistake after sitting to enter what I had done in Miss Roberts’ teaching log I saw that I had taught the Form Twos the Form Three lesson. I saw the pencil marking in my small copybook and was shocked. I just took that as experience for when the Form Threes came. Both classes had to sign the class attendance form so that Miss Roberts could register when she comes. I got a big headache looking into that folder with all the registration forms.

    In both of the classes, they were given a note and lesson on the music alphabet and solfège. I then called out the letters of the alphabet for two octaves and then recited them backwards to show the continuation of the letters. For the solfege, I had them sing the major scale before giving the note on it and asking what was the name. The same was done for the relative minor after what was the 6th syllable in the pattern of solfege. They were given homework to write out the major and relative minor scale ascending and descending and insert the solfège below.

    The recess and lunchtimes were crazy as yesterday. Too much drumming, piano and steelpan noise all over. The liming people never stop but I had to stay for the room to be opened for the students coming to either practice or fool around. My head could have felt to explode. I had lunch there while the students did whatever.

    Once lunch was over and the final bell for students to line to go to class was sounded, I took off all the air-conditioning units and lights to pack up and run to the staffroom. I did not have a class that day. I had three double periods for that day. I wanted to sit in the ‘quiet’ staffroom and recompose my mind and energy to work on a lesson before I went home.

    Unfortunately, at some point of cooling off on my chair, a teacher called me and another quit down to the end of the room and said, “Mr Ali! It have something I want tuh show yuh. Now I might not be that big but watch this, eh.” She walked slowly around my chair and back round to where she stood. Only five of us were in the staffroom as school was going on.

    When the other teacher asked what was going on, Miss said that it had another person making trouble with the desk and chair in the staffroom. She came down to the other side of my desk and now two teachers were speaking loudly over me for a second time. I didn’t say anything at that point. My head was already hurting and I didn’t want any of that exhausting stuff. I’m not sure if the person being referred to had secretly hated me or something like other teachers in my past. It took me a while before getting up and walking up the road after that extra bit in the staffroom.

Link(s):

 

Daryl Zion M. Ali

(7:19am – 3:00pm)

No comments:

Post a Comment