Friday, April 1, 2016

World Music Study ('Textbook Mission' & Accomplishment)

 Date for Entry: (Friday 1st April, 2016)

Actual Date of Online Entry: (Wednesday 15th September, 2021)

 Dear Diary,

    Today I completed another book. I decided to do a textbook for my Introduction to World Music course at UWI because I was more concerned that there was no textbook at all for this particular course except for doing my own research. 

    So, I decided to take some of the notes that Mrs. Neaves gave us and edit them and also add in some extra notes that I got from my personal research. It came out pretty well but the nice part was that it all came up to a total of 101 pages. I am supposed to add in some exercises I got from Natasha when I got her permission to use them. 


(UPDATE)

    The Friday before the event of the Music of the Diaspora concert held by DCFA, copies of this new textbook was made and bound. Five copies in all were made. I was offering copies to anyone that wanted all the notes for ninety dollars for the printings and binding. Only Natasha, Candise and Nella were the ones interested. They got their copies this Friday.

    My group for the class had practice again on the same Friday. More trouble in finding a place to practice was the issue. I was in a situation again. Nowhere in the school was available until I took the few members with me beneath the mango tree and we did practice out in the grass. Mr Murray apparently did not like us out there and said he would be ashamed of us out there if people saw us from the road. 

    He took us into the staff kitchen and we practised there as the other time. Ishan was not going to be there again. She had a group visit outside of the country and couldn't make the Diaspora concert. Literally, we were one person short again unlike the other two groups. As soon as I saw Mrs Neaves that evening, I took out the fifth copy and gave it to her as a gift. 

    One was left for me to use as the final exam was right around the corner. She took it and went through the book with another lady teacher in music I did not meet before. This textbook took me one week straight to create. Each day was a certain country. There were some days were two were tackled. I also got a section with music excerpts in the back but time for working on a disc was not possible. 

(UPDATE) 

Monday 4th April, 2016. 

    On this day the Introduction to World Music textbook was printed by Isa Technologies and spiral bounded by Vashti in the back of Massy's. This was my first copy being put together before offers were sent to the other class students. Looking back through the book made in my hand, I felt very proud as this was now being the first textbook I did in my stay at DCFA.

 

Link(s):

  1. World Music Textbook - Scratch Created.
  2. "Sabilulangan" Full Score (Final).

Daryl Zion M. Ali

No comments:

Post a Comment