Friday, January 29, 2016

First World Music GROUP Meeting

 Date for Entry: (Friday 29th January, 2016)

Actual Date of Online Entry: (Saturday 11th September, 2021)

Dear Diary,

    Today after waking up all stressed and worried, I sent a recording of what I had so far from the "Sabilulungan" transcription to the group. It was a bit troubling with the noise going on outside. I decided to think of it as five-way working where I have to arrange the song, score it out, distribute the parts, teach all the members in the group and put the whole thing together. This was more of a learning process but difficult because I was struggling to pull all of the group’s weight by myself.

    I walked with my Manuscript book just in case. Fortunately for that, I had chosen to write it out in handwriting after my music friend Quianna from the group asked me if I brought the score with me. I really did want to carry it because it might have been too much ink I didn't have to print it from home. Couldn't believe I didn't think to bring it to the meeting on a flash drive. It might have allowed some of the music students in the group to see the full thing.

    Quianna got permission from Dr Remy to use some instruments from the percussion room. Usually, they don’t allow anyone who isn’t from the percussion ensemble inside there. That was one of our disadvantages. I would have liked to join but with the rhythm, it isn’t my thing including reading it on score sometimes. 

    Inside the percussion room, Quianna and I went through the instruments needed for the performance and we told the members who was playing which instrument. I took a play on one of the xylophones. It was just like the piano so it make me wonder about the level of difficulty it can bring. 


[UPDATE]

Recall creating some handouts for four of the newly transferred students. Three of them did not have a background in music and were new to reading music notation. These few sheets were reviewed in our group practices. All other music theories required for the group to be learned were taught by myself.


Link(s):

  1. Handouts for New Students.

 

Daryl Zion M. Ali

No comments:

Post a Comment