Thursday, January 28, 2016

Semester 2 Pan Lessons & Scoring Journey

 Date for Entry: (Unknown/Forgotten)

[January 2016]

Actual Date of Online Entry: (Saturday 11th September, 2021)

Dear Diary,

    Today was my First Pan Lessons with Mr Sharma for the Semester and we went through the two pieces. He looked seemed pleased that I had most of the song for “Just a Little Calypso Idea” and the “Invention #2” one after the next. I was glad to go home and rest. 

    I was getting all worried at Curepe House #1 because I didn’t know what was going to happen with my Introduction to World Music group. After all, the eight of them couldn’t arrange music. Most likely the five transferred girls did not know much music. "Arrange" was the first word in the instruction for the assignment and even I had no idea how to do the arranging.

    As I got home, I sat down at my Musescore program in front of the computer and began to write out the music of “Sabilulangan” straight from YouTube. It was mostly a percussion song with a flute carrying the melody. This was the song we all agreed on t present at the end of the term. A lot of xylophone sounding instruments and other drum-like instruments.

    From the experience gained over the eight hours (from SIX o'clock STRAIGHT to TWO o'clock the very next morning), in a situation like this, it is best to work out the melody lines and then fill in the percussion to whatever you wanted. I could get to finish the song but I had parts of the original score finished.

(UPDATE) 

    This was a familiar situation for me I have encountered several times in my life already. It could have been as an individual thing or in a group setting as the assignment was placed. The situation was that it was all up to me to do it for us to have something to work with. 

    A lot of times it might be for persons who might not deserve it but yet it is still done out of love. It has shown me several times too that if Daryl does not do it, then IT will never be done. Some of this might be the textbooks and other work-related matters. 

    I was very proud of doing this piece of music. I was also glad and happy with the response given to me by the group members. At this time too I did not learn about creating MP3 recordings from Musescore as yet so I recorded the entire notation and sent it to the WhatsApp group we made for them. A group meeting was agreed on for the next day.

 

Link(s):

  1. "Sabilulangan

Daryl Zion M. Ali

No comments:

Post a Comment