Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Introduction to World Music (1st Class)

 Date for Entry: (Wednesday 20th January, 2016)

Actual Date of Online Entry: (Saturday 11th September, 2021)

 Dear Diary,

    Today I was running a bit late for my first class of Introduction to World Music with Mrs. Neaves. I realised that this course would bring some surprises that might look to attack me in the process of the semester like the Musicology in the afternoon yesterday. The sad thing about this World Music class was that it did not have a booklet for the course like when I paid my forty dollars for my Musicology Booklet.

    Since I was a bit late, I was worried about this new set of students to the course if they didn’t have a musical background. One of the big surprises was that Mrs. Neaves told us we had to gather ourselves in groups. I wasn’t that much confident at first because I got teamed up with the five foreign girls and three others from the music class. Then Tinesha told me she wanted to be in my group when I really didn’t have one and so we both joined into the one with the newly transferred students. 

    As I watched my music friends in the other group gather to talk, it slapped two things into my face. The first was that in the music field I would have to make acquaintances while working together with other musicians in a band and the second was that even though I was not getting to be with my music friends, this is a learning experience for me to gain more from because I would have seen that the eight of them in the group would be dependent on me for my assistance, even though I too might be scared at first. 

    Before we all left the classroom, we created a WhatsApp group chat and then my friend Monique told Tinesha, “Daryl’s in your group? Don’t worry he’s a good musician.” That made me really nice to hear. I stood outside and then I filled out my Component Form. Shikia and another girl (Candise) went for one also. I ate one of my beef pies and then shared the other with Shikia since she was hungry and didn’t have anything to eat. 

    The three of us went over to the Pan Theatre and we showed Candise a piece of “Oye Mi Canto” from the introduction run. It was her first time trying the ensemble that day. Then it was going well until Mr. Sharma came and told us that Mr. Manette couldn’t make it for the day. Sir gave us the choice to stay and practice as much as we wanted for the time of the class and to eave when we wanted. The whole class went waking out one time as soon as Mr. Sharma left the pan theatre. I stayed back for a long while practising other pieces. 

    Then there were about five of the degree students with me in the same room. They of course decided to do singing and some playing around but after a while, I just sat back and let them fool around. We were all supposed to be practising for our intermediate ensemble. They left me after some time and then I helped a boy put together the chairs for his class they were supposed to have right there in a while.

 

Daryl Zion M. Ali

No comments:

Post a Comment