Sunday, January 6, 2019

Service of Grateful Praise and Thanksgiving

 Date for Entry: (Sunday 6th January 2019)

Actual Date of Online Entry: (Monday 14th March 2022)

Dear Diary,

    The Sunday school was asked to play for the service this evening. The band had practice in the morning for it that morning. There was a nice Indian Presbyterian bhajan that the church sang. It was not one I had heard before, called “Yesu Ni Kaha”. The first one I heard was “Yesu Masi” when I had played for David Sookha’s funeral service.

    I was thankful that I had carried my cell phone with me to record the bhajan again and then attempt it for steelpan. When I heard the second playing, where they had the church sing it again, I was able to mentally find a simple strumming pattern for it.

    It was an easy exercise. It felt like I was doing the same transcription work for the Indian Classical Ensemble from UWI to write out the melody from the recording and then transform it into an arrangement for a steelband. This was then taken to teach the Sunday school sometime afterward.

    In this service too, I got to experience Agape Feast in church for the first time. I can recall going to the Presbyterian Youth Rally in Hillview where they did that. Everyone would share a pinch of their bun with another. We were also given a small box of juice and people would cross their arms together and sip from their box of juice. I think because it was something we did not do in church that the people were very weirded out by the experience of it.


Link(s):

  1. Service of Grateful Praise and Thanksgiving Program.

 

Daryl Zion M. Ali

No comments:

Post a Comment