Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Meeting about UWI Registration

Date for Entry: (Tuesday 7th July, 2015)

Actual Date of Online Entry: (Monday 5th July, 2021)

Dear Diary,

    Today I went to the Department of Creative and Festival Arts (D.C.F.A.) to speak with Mr. Sharma about some Piano lessons. We asked him about signing up for the Music Certificate course in September. He told us that one of the requirements was to have five passes in my CSEC Examination including English. And then he told us about an audition that I have to perform for some judges to find out some information about myself. I was getting a little worried about the English. I know that I did my best in it.

    Mr. Sharma didn’t know that I wanted to do Music when I had shown him the Pan book I made for the Youth Group. He looked surprised at the computer work and told me that I would be having to do a lot of this in the Course if I got admitted. After a chat in the Staffroom, He took me to Practice Room 4. There was a very nice brown Piano on the cover. I fixed my blue Tenor pan on a Pan stand. But to put in the Pan, the plastic holding the pan was the fat to go into the narrow hook of the pan stand. He soon came back to the Practice room and lent me a book with the songs I can play for the audition with. But this same book was the same one I am going to use for my pan exam right there in November.

    We both went through the song together. It was tough. Very tough. The first song was Adagio and I knew this one from by Mr. Lewis. And then the second piece was Blizzy. I really liked this one but it was too hard to learn. I found it difficult to learn out all in one. But we just went on from the beginning to the end. Mr. Sharma said, “That’s one of the things when you come to UWI, that you wouldn’t be spoon feed the music. So, you got to just take upon the Music.” This was one point appreciated and noted indeed in my head and nowhere in the journal. Thank you, Sir. 😊

     At the end of Practice, I was all wet as if it was a workout. I gave Mr Sharma back his book and went to meet dad and mom in the Staffroom kitchen. I told them that the room they were in was where I did my Grade 1 Exam in Pan there. I went back to Tunapuna and practised the song more.


Link(s):

  1. Youth Group Steelpan Book
  2. DCFA Steelpan Exam Book - Grade 3 Tenor (2012-2014).

 

Daryl Zion M. Ali

No comments:

Post a Comment