Saturday, June 15, 2013

ABRSM Theory Examination (Grade 4) - Season 2

Date for Entry: (Saturday 15th June, 2013)

Actual Date of Online Entry: (Monday 14th June, 2021)

Dear Diary,

    Today was my Music Theory Examination with the ABRSM for Grade 4 Theory. It was held in St. Georges College. It took me entire an hour and a half and a half to complete the paper. 

    Sadly, I knew that the distinction AGAIN was not coming out for me because there were several questions I didn’t know how to answer. Soon after that evening, I had to leave home to go to a Youth Group meeting. We had to do a Pan piece for Father’s Day Tomorrow. 

(Update)

    When I got the results sheet I felt glad that it was not a fail. Even knowing that the distinction would not be coming to be, I decided to take the merit in hurt. I still cannot believe that it was just six points away from the distinction.

    During pan practice that evening, Zara was there with some others already going through the piece. When I got to church and set up my pan (Stanley), Zara gave me a copy of the music. 

    I could see that she might have been glad that she did not have to write out the names of the pitches or me. I too was surprised because it was a piece that she had given me previous to learn, which was "Oh My Papa." The only difference was that this piece was in Bb Major. The one she gave was in D Major. I did not mind the key.

    I can also recall that during the lesson she was finding trouble teaching Joshua and Johan. I was looking on at it too and then she came by the pan next to me and said, "Let's play the whole thing top to bottom, Nah?" I agreed and after she counted her preferred tempo we played out the whole score. I also recall that her mom was sitting very close to us and looking. 

    It was fun for me to play out the whole thing. For me, I was sight-reading the whole thing alright. I'm not sure if she had used it before. While playing it with Zara I was wondering how she was going to arrange this or if she was just going to let the three of us boys play the melody. 

    Some long years after this day, I took the same copy of the "Oh My Papa" score I found on Wikipedia scores and arranged it for steelpan. I believe it was in a summer vacation of UWI during the Degree and mommy was in Eric Williams ward. I was deciding to do the arrangement. It was actually in the car that I was turning on the laptop and beginning to create the score template.


Link(s): 


Daryl Zion M. Ali

No comments:

Post a Comment