Monday, July 9, 2012

Pan Minors & Steelpan Excitement

 Date for Entry: (Monday 9th July, 2012)

Actual Date of Online Entry: (Friday 11th June, 2021)

Dear Diary,

    Today I was excited because I was going back to the University of the West Indies to the Department of Festival and Creative Arts (DCFA) again. The better part of this was that I always see this place going from Curepe to Tunapuna and back, and always wanted to go there because of the Music. Miss Saunders had given every member of the Steel Ensemble in Hillview Application Forms to attend this workshop.

    I do hope that I learn a lot from these classes because it was Grade 1 and the same ABRSM Grade 1 I knew so well. It was also the opportunity for me to actually sit with a steelpan instructor and observe what it was like to POSSIBLY be taught steelpan for the first time. It was easy. I enjoyed getting everything correct in both theory classes for the first class today. 

    The teacher taught us to clap rhythms while keeping the beat on our feet. In the rhythms, we were asked to say the syllables of the claps (Do, Do-Dey, Do-ta-dey-ta, Do-ta-dey, Do-ou etc.) 

    At the end of class, we were sent out of Studio 4 to Pan studio. The teacher did exercises of rhythms. She had everyone do the same rhythm but had the pans use the notes of the C Major tonic triad. The teacher placed me to play the Double Seconds so I had to play E. The moment I looked down into that pan, uh... Headache! More rhythmic exercises were done and that was it for the second hour of the day.

    Aunty Zida came for me at the end of class. I went up the hill with my Grade 1 ABRSM Workbook they gave us and my pencil and work out every single question in the book. I know sure I would have probably gotten in trouble but I seriously couldn't help see the book with empty questions and not do them. It was a fun five hours spent with the book until the last page of it was done.

 

Daryl Zion M. Ali

No comments:

Post a Comment