Thursday, September 12, 2019

Choral Arranging - (MUSC 3201)

Date for Entry: (Thursday 12 September 2019)

Actual Date of Online Entry: (Monday 21st March 2022)

Dear Diary,

This course was a lot of trouble and work. I did not like it too much because of the difficulties and obstacles that occurred to make me stumble. There are several activities that were required of us to complete and submit. Not all were graded towards final marks. It was in the second class that I was able to pay for the course textbooks and started conducting with the class. Some of these assignments were not labeled properly on submitted assignments. They remain the same in entries below.

Link(s):

  1. Textbooks Receipt.
  2. Course Outline.

 

ASSIGNMENT #1: CANTUS FIRMUS & COUNTERPOINT.

* Thursday 19 September 2019 *

This was homework. It was returned on Thursday 3rd October 2019. I was glad that there were not many things wrong with it. I still did not understand the work involved in it that much.

Link(s):

  1. Cantus Firmus & Counterpoint - Assignment #1.
  2. Cantus Firmus & Counterpoint (Recording).**

 

ASSIGNMENT #2: FOUR-PART WRITING.

* Thursday 26th September 2019 *

I got back this assignment on Thursday 3rd October 2019. Seems as if there were other parts of the homework that I did not even realize I had to do. On the other hand, I was grateful that not many scratch markings were done on the assignment again.

Link(s):

  1. Four-Part Writing - Assignment #2.
  2. Four-Part Writing [Assignment 2] - (Recording).**

 

ASSIGNMENT 3: PIANO ACCOMPANIMENT

* Monday 30 September 2019 *

These questions were taken from the textbook. I decided to do one a day to complete them. It really did need one day to focus and complete each exercise. I did not remember to leave out my name. That’s why Mr. Murry scratched it out. He wanted my student’s number alone. 

    The third one was where he pulled one of the many jokes on in front of the class. Looking back at the scratched markings in red like blood, I was disappointed in myself that I couldn’t work it out better. The compilation video was created on Friday 5th August 2022 and became a DAPHA Project.

Link(s):

  1. Piano Accompaniment – Assignment.
  2. Piano Accompaniment – Assignment #3 (Recording).

 

ASSIGNMENT 4: THREE-PART WRITING – 

“BOYSIE”

* x *

The biggest scratch I should see after getting this assignment back was the question for a cover page. I was “oh goooooooosh”. I got 14 out of 20 for the piece. I still would like to take a listen of the recording to see what it was like in the time of doing the course.

Link(s):

  1. “Boysie” Two-Part Writing - Assignment #4.
  2. “Boysie” Two-Part Writing - Assignment #4 (Recording).**

 

ASSIGNMENT #5: THREE-PART WRITING – 

“THE WATER IS WIDE”.

* Thursday 19 September 2019 *

This assignment was one that took me a big fight to accomplish. I was met by Mr. Murry on the corridor and he yanked me aside verbally. He said that I got zero in my assignment. I did smile and fake it but at that point of the semester, I had endured enough mess. The other angering and hurting events cannot be recorded or said here. I had to do over the assignment and submit it again. I did exactly that and left it there to continue swallowing the poison. I thank God that I am free and not trapped as the others.

Link(s):

  1. “The Water is Wide” Assignment 5 – 1st Attempt.**
  2. “The Water is Wide” Assignment #5– [2nd Attempt].
  3. “The Water is Wide” Assignment 5 – 2nd Attempt (Recording).**

 

ASSIGNMENT #6: FOUR-PART WRITING – 

“GLORY BE TO THEE, MY GOD THIS NIGHT”.

* Monday 25 November 2019 *

The class was given three strophes (or verses) and were asked too three types of accompaniments, create an introduction, one homophonic technique at least, and at least two polyphonic textures. Luckily, the strophe was eight measures long. I did remember the name Thomas Tallis from my Western History reading.

    Looking back at the scratches, I did not know why Mr. Murry wanted my piano accompaniment to be lower. The same thing happened on the second page. However, he also had a problem with the forte moving to piano on the next beat of measure ten. A circle appeared on page five and that does not have any problems for me. I’m glad with the mark at the end.

Link(s):

  1. “Glory be to Thee, My God this Night” - Assignment #6.
  2. “Glory be to Thee, My God this Night” Assignment 6. (Recording).**

 

ASSIGNMENT #7: FINAL SATB – 

“JOHNNY GROTTO”.

* Monday 16 December 2019 *

We were asked to select a West-Indian song and arrange it for SATB with piano accompaniment and it had to be at least forty measures. I did a lot and Mr. Murray said to take out some. The instructions page detail other techniques required. The song of choice I did was “Johnny Grotto” which is provided in the document also. The assignment was submitted at the DCFA office on the day of the Music Education 1 final examination.

Link(s):

  1. “Johnny Grotto” - Assignment #7.
  2. “Johnny Grotto” Assignment 7 - (Recording).**

 

Daryl Zion M. Ali

No comments:

Post a Comment