Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Congo Man Melody: “Trini Situation”

 Date for Entry: (Tuesday 16th April 2019)

Actual Date of Online Entry: (Tuesday 15th March 2022)

Dear Diary,

    It was a weekend in the same month that I was contacted by a Hillview acquaintance of mine. He asked me to do some work in music for a friend of his but the task/challenge given to me was from the perspective of songwriting. The goal of the challenge was to take the song Congo man and create new lyrics and use the same melody. I knew I was not good at songwriting but I was still willing to make try.

    For this individual challenge given me to do, I had to study “Congo Man” for a proper first time listening to the entire song. Next, I tried to take the first verse and come up with something. I decided that I should focus my attention on one specific topic because I kept the idea of how calypso can discuss any topic. I was not sure if it was a good idea to do different topics for each verse., or if I should have done one overall topic for the entire composition.

    The chorus was done over as well. I was asked to do three verses but instead, I had given eight verses to whoever was to get this creation of mine. I also am not sure if this was used for some competition, pastime, or may be part of some course assignment for UWI.

    A lot of this had to be based on my experience doing sonnet writing. Some of it seemed to be uneven to the rhythmic structure of “Congo Man” but I’m sure the person(s) would have been able to fix it if they did that or had someone else move the words around.

 

Link(s):

  1. “Congo Man” Lyrics - Submitted Work
  2. “Congo Man” Recording.

Daryl Zion M. Ali

No comments:

Post a Comment