Saturday, November 19, 2011

Tenor Pan Exam (Preliminary)

 Date for Entry: (Saturday 19th November, 2011)

Actual Date of Online Entry: (Thursday 10th June, 2021)

Dear Diary,

    Today was my first Music Practical Examination in Solo Steelpan. The best part of this was that it was in (D.C.F.A.) Department of Creative and Festival Arts on Gordon Street. I was going to be examined at the Preliminary level. My Examiner for today was Dr. Jeannine Remy. She did some of the musical pieces that I had to learn for the exam and play for the exam.

     Part of the exam was to play a piece of music by the candidate’s choice so I decided to play the "Pathetique Sonata" melody that I learned for the Graduation in Hillview a while ago. I was glad to have the score because Mr. Lewis told me that the Examiner might ask to see a copy of the score. Even though I had it with me, I’m still glad that she didn’t need it because it was my only copy and I really needed it to read from.

    Also, I had to play an exercise that must be played from memory. I was lucky that the page was open for me to see it but I didn’t need it until she pointed out a mistake that I made and was able to correct it on the spot. One question on that, she asked me if I knew how she knew I made this mistake. I really did not know.

    In another part of the examination, Dr. Remy played a piece of music and I had to show a drawing with my hands to do conducting. I had no idea what to do because in class with Mr. Lewis we did not do any of this type of practice AT ALL. Before losing some points, I just started to draw with my hands in the air as she told me to do. I had absolutely no idea what I was doing at all for that particular question. On the other hand, I was amazed at the music she played for me on the piano (in Studio 4) to each viva voce question. 

    Dr. Remy gave me some extremely useful tips but unfortunately upon exiting the room, I had forgotten all that she had told me. I still felt ashamed of not knowing how to do the 'conducting' question. I left the room dressed as if I came from Church because I did not know what to wear. I had on my long sleeve white shirt and long black pants with black pants. I’m glad that I got a Distinction in the reports that came back.


Link(s):

  1. DCFA Steelpan Exams Booklet - Prelim & Grade 1 Tenor (2009-2011).** (Permission not granted by school for sharing.)
  2. "Pathetique Sonata" (Steelband Score - Nervine Saunders).
  3. Certificate from Examination (Photograph).

    *** The results sheet was misplaced.

 

Daryl Zion M. Ali

No comments:

Post a Comment